Art_Teacher's Challenge #1 - Stash/Directions Challenge *WIN

Moderators: Rachel Kent, ACOT Employee

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Art_Teacher's Challenge #1 - Stash/Directions Challenge *WIN

Post by Art_Teacher »

I loved seeing what everyone did for this!  Thanks for taking my challenge. :). Random winner of 500 points is LoreenC!  The rest of you get sprinkles.  So glad you went out on a limb and tried this!
This challenge is a revival of a challenge that Sher (sherelm) gave during the NSD 2013 crop.  I absolutely loved how my layout turned out and had so much fun with this, so I hope you like it.  The red represents the school where I teach (it is graduation month!) and my own alma mater (high school), as well as my favorite OSU Buckeyes!
First some things to say - there is NO RIGHT layout at the end. This is done "blindly - it's to interpret the directions as YOU see them.  Also, you have the right as the designer of your own page to say "Nah, that won't work for me." This is up to you to follow to a "T" or to go off here and there. But the fun is, with the same basic set of directions, to see how far and what each person does with them in the end.
I really, REALLY encourage you NOT to peek at the gallery until you have finished your own layout, or wait to post until Saturday if you would rather do that, because if you get influenced, we all will have carbon copies pretty much.

I've posted the supplies first, again - and now you get the rest of the "instructions". HAVE FUN.  I know I did, and was WOWED at the outcome!!

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
1. A Red sheet of 12x12 Cardstock
2. 2 Patterned Papers – one a very small non-specific print (dots, swirls, plaid, etc.) and the other one a bold, pretty, floral with flowers large enough to cut out and/or cluster – both papers should be able to coordinate with the red cardstock.
3. Two lettering options – one big/one small (red would look great here, or make sure they coordinate with your papers)
4. Pull a bunch of chipboard, diecuts, embellishments, etc., that are reds and some coordinating flowers - you will need a few chipboards , die cuts, or larger stickers though, no matter what your embellishments. (you can also cut them from your die cutting machine)
5. Either ribbon, washi tape, baker's twine, or fibers, to match that red – you can have one, two, or all three of these options. We are using this for texture
6. PHOTOS: you need three 4x6 prints – all the same orientation – 3 portraits, or three landscapes.                                            
7. Some bling to coordinate (rhinestones, sequins, pearls, Stickles, or glitter works here.)

Use Your Stash Red Layout directions:

1) Adhere your three photos tight together in a straight line on the red cardstock –
a) For portraits – they will be across the page, 1" from the bottom
b) For landscapes – they will be 1" from the left hand side of the page going top to bottom

2) Cut a ½  inch, or so strip of the small print paper and place it against the photos partially within the one inch border.

3) Cut a narrow strip from the second patterned paper. This can be cut with a border punch as well and cut really thin – about ¼ of an inch. Put this piece on top of the ½" border .

4) Pick out the largest flat shape you have in chipboard or diecuts (not bigger than 3x4 though!) and mat it with the small print paper.

5) Now choose two smaller chipboards or die cuts that when placed side by side, together, equal roughly the same width as the large matted die cut. Adhere these three to the layout in this order: large piece on the bottom to the right of your photos, but either flush against or overlapping the photo a bit, and the other two above the large one flush with pictures as well as each die cut touching. If you are doing horizontal photos – start on the far right with the big one and move across to the right from the left. (DO NOT BE UPSET if you aren't sure you are doing it correctly – THERE IS no wrong way – it's how you are interpreting these directions!)

6) Cut a flower from your larger floral paper – add pop dots or foam tape and add to the top of the two smaller die cuts. Select a smaller, round embellishment that can be a center or accent to the flower. Attach.

7) Now build either up or more to the left (if horizontal photos) this collection along the photos by adding another embellishment. Something long and thin works well here. . .

8) Use the washi tape, ribbon,  baker's twine, or fibers in three places on your page: far corner of the photos, and on either side of the "embellishment area". Be creative!

9) Sprinkle some bling on your layout here and there – these can be Stickles, rhinestones, glitter, etc.

10) Add title with letter stickers. Layer it over the embellishments! (Keep it legible!)

11) Complete the page with your own writing and use the smaller letter stickers for names, dates, or smaller words in your title.

12) Does it need anything else? Feel free to add what else to make it yours. Can't wait to see it!

Remember, you have until midnight Saturday, May 12th to complete and post your layout in the Gallery spot provided. Please use the spot I have set up, labeled Stash/Directions Challenge.  It is much easier for me to find your layout and award the points if you do.  BTW, the points for the random challenge winner will be big (not sure exactly, but in the hundreds, depending on how many points I have left to give at the end. ;) )  If you want to post your finished layout back here, go ahead.  We love to see them!

***** IMPORTANT *****

Must be posted to the NSD 2018 Celebration Gallery to be eligible, but please also post your entry to my Stash/Directions Challenge Gallery so that I can keep track of all my participants. Thank you.

Last edited by Art_Teacher on Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Re: Art_Teacher's Challenge #1 - Stash/Directions Challenge

Post by DN in MN »

Oh this is gonna be fun and challenging :) 
2024 Layout goal ~ 6/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3695

Post by blbabe1234 »

I LOVED Sher's challenge so much I know I'm gonna enjoy yours as well!!!

I'm excited!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
stateless
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 335

Post by stateless »

I wondered if this would be the challenge! Sher's challenge from that crop was one of my favorites that I always remember. So fun to see all the different interpretations of the directions!
- Valerie/stateless
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

stateless wrote:I wondered if this would be the challenge! Sher's challenge from that crop was one of my favorites that I always remember. So fun to see all the different interpretations of the directions!
Glad to see some of you remember it...I loved that challenge and my layout from it, too! :) 
Laura
love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1032

Post by love2stamp »

Very neat challenge!
ImageImageImageImage
LoreenC
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 1269

Post by LoreenC »

This is SO Great !! Thank  you, I love this !!  I am going to do it now !!
ImageImageImageImageImage
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2439

Post by emmapaige »

This is going to be fun!!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Post by JillinIN »

I loved that challenge!!!
This will be so fun!!
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
MTCanuk
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2028

Post by MTCanuk »

will have to try this one!!!
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

kittymomma
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 341

Post by kittymomma »

Oh--this may be the perfect layout to start back into scrapping...just tell me what to do! LOL
tms58
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 123

Post by tms58 »

Wow!  Just pulling supplies was a challenge.  Reading the directions is kind of confusing, but I'm sure it will all become clear once I get scrapping.  Looking forward to doing this!
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1360

Post by scrappinmom99 »

I'm working on it now! I'm even breaking out mixed media for my chipboard -woohoo LOL!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
Linda L
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 101

Post by Linda L »

So #4 is suppose to be a rectangle shape?????

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

Linda-1949 wrote:So #4 is suppose to be a rectangle shape?????

Interpret as you wish. ;) 
Laura
shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2842

Post by shoorn »

Just printed directions - will be working on this later. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
StacyLee
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 927

Post by StacyLee »

Sounds like fun! I wasn't here until 2014, so it's new to me Image
Stacy

ImageImageImage

Barb Van
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 117

Post by Barb Van »

Put the mat in front or behind the large print 3x4?
ImageImage          Image

Barb Van
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 117

Post by Barb Van »

What is chip and etc... is there a dictionary on this site?
ImageImage          Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

bvandoes wrote:Put the mat in front or behind the large print 3x4?
Haha......it is depending on how you interpret the directions. ;) 
Laura

Return to “NSD Celebration 2018”